Daytripping: The Historic City of Ayutthaya from Bangkok
- Trip Duration: 9hs
- Available Languages: English/Thai
- Pickup & drop off to your hotel
- Instant Confirmation
- Food and/or beverages
- Certified tour guide / instructor
Once upon a time, the Kingdom of Thailand was called Siam, whose first capital was Sukhothai in the north. Its second capital, a splendid site of prang (towers) and gigantic monasteries, was located not far from Bangkok. Ayutthaya was its name, and it flourished from the 14th to the 18th centuries deep in the country’s central plains.
Visit the ruins of this great capital, once Asia’s most magnificent, whose temples still stand despite invasion and fire from the Burmese army in the 18th century. Our day trip to the historical city of Ayutthaya will take you through the history and wonder of the old Siamese kingdom (Read: Thai Legacy in Ayutthaya Historical Park).
Your day begins at 6.30am, when you are picked up at your hotel by a comfortable air-conditioned vehicle. After stopping by Bang Pa-In, the Thai monarchs’ Summer Palace, you will proceed to the protected UNESCO site. Once there, you will get to walk through the ruins of the old city and visit its majestic temples.
Watch out for the 600 year old Wat Mahathat, famous for its buddha head peeking out in between giant tree roots. Wat Mongkol Borpit is home to the largest sitting buddha in Ayutthaya, while Wat Phrasri Sanphet captivates with its three massive chedis (perfect panoramic photos at sunset!). Wat Lokiyasutharam is the most enigmatic of them all, as its origins are unknown. The temple enshrines a large reclining Buddha, constructed in the style of the Early Ayutthaya Period.
- Pickup at your hotel in Bangkok (Silom road , Sukhumvit road , Khao san road , Pratunam. If your hotel is located in different areas, you will need to come at 7.00am @ Holiday inn Siam Bangkok Hotel, 889 Rama 1 RD, Pathum Wan, Khet Pathum Wan , Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10330)
- Stop @ Summer Palace - the Royal Palace at Bang Pa In is the Thai royals’ retreat from the city where they occasionally host dignitaries
- Arrive at the ancient capital of Ayutthaya - roam the ruins of the city and its temples
- Lunch buffet at a Thai restaurant
- Wat @ Ayutthaya - go to a number of Wat (Temples) in Ayutthaya; namely Wat Mahathat, Wat Mongkol Borpit, Wat Phrasri Samphet and Wat Lokiyasutharam
- Return to Bangkok
- Drop-off at your hotel
We kept to the timeline and had plenty of time. Rin was a great guide and very clear about history and opportunities for exploring. I am vegetarian and I was able to get a veggie dish at lunch.
Really attractive city, thanks to our great guide told us stories about magnificent Ayutthaya Kingdom, knowing the history make the city more beautiful, experience you can not miss!
This is a city full of beautiful Wats, a must go place when you are in Thailand, remember to wear proper clothes for temple, get to know much about the history and religion, very nice experience!
Ayutthaya is impressive, the city is amazing and the ruin shows a different kind of beauty, also provide an insight about Thai history, good for architecture lover as well, really good daytrip from Bangkok