Around a thousand shrines across Japan are devoted to the goddess of Mt. Fuji, Konohanasakuya-hime.
Around a thousand shrines across Japan are devoted to the goddess of Mt. Fuji, Konohanasakuya-hime. The main shrine is the Fujiyoshida Sengen-jinja, surrounded by a thick forest of high cedar trees at the northern base of the mountain.
This shrine was once the most common jump-off point for climbing Mount Fuji Japan from the northern side, but today they usually start in the Fuji Subaru Line 5th station. It already begins halfway and cuts five (5) hours of hiking time.
How to get there
- Shinjuku Station: The Fujikyu and Keio bus companies offer a direct two-hour travel twice an hour from Shinjuku Station to the Kawaguchiko Station near the base of Mt. Fuji and is priced at ¥1,750.
- Tokyo Station: Similarly, Fujikyu and JR Kanto Bus offer a direct two-hour travel twice an hour from Shinjuku Station to the Kawaguchiko Station, and is priced at ¥1,800. You can make reservations online on these websites: Willer; Japan Bus Online.
- Shibuya Station: Fujikyu also offers a ¥1,800 trip from Shibuya Station, but only leaves every two hours.
- By train: There is a direct limited express train that runs twice a day from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko (both directions), but it costs ¥4,000 and requires seat reservations. Taking a train also takes two hours.
Passes and Tickets
The following passes can be purchased to make the most of the Fuji Five Lake area:
- Fuji Hakone Pass: This ¥8,000 pass is only available to foreigners and it includes travel from Tokyo and around the Fuji Five Lakes region and Hakone area. Save time and effort with the Mt Fuji Tour & Hakone Day Trip from Tokyo — Full Day.
- Fujigoko Enjoy Ticket: Purchased at the Shinjuku bus terminal and priced at ¥4,350, this seven-day ticket includes a roundtrip bus from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko/Yamanakako, a two-day pass for the omni and Fujikko buses, and discounts to attractions.
- Fuji Q Highland Plans: For amusement park junkies, there are always discounts to the Fuji Q Highland amusement park, which include park access and accommodations. (TripGuru offers 5% OFF Fuji-Q Highland Amusement Park Unlimited Day Pass Tickets.)